For most people the beach is somewhere to go on vacation, or for an occasional day out. The idea of living there might seem like a dream, but what is it really like for those who live right there and can see it every day? Here are 13 things that can only be fully understood by those who live by the beach.
1. You understand that the beach isn’t just for summer
Wrapping up warm and walking on a deserted beach in a cold weather is a uniquely invigorating experience.
2. You always feel a little bit smug
After all, you get to live somewhere that people yearn to visit all year.
3. You’ve discovered that solutions to most problems can be found by sitting on the beach and staring out over the water
Similarly, if you’re in need of some inspiration, you will find it by digging your toes in the sand.
4. You take it personally when people leave trash at the beach
You wouldn’t leave trash in their backyards, so why would they leave it on your beach?
5. You always have something to do when you live near the beach
Even if it’s just sitting on the beach which is a perfectly valid way to spend time, unlike anywhere else when just sitting and doing nothing is clearly a waste of time.
6. You know that any food tastes better when eaten sitting on the sand
Even better if it’s been prepared on the beach. You’ve perfected the art of preparing and eating food on the beach without ingesting gritty sand, this is a skill to be envied by the casual beach visitor.
7. You never get bored of the view
Especially the sunsets. And the sunrises. And during the midday sun.
8. You’ve accepted that your house will never be completely sand-free
Ditto your car, clothes, hair, and pets.
9. You hope you never lose the childlike awe of the beach
The delight in finding and collecting pretty shells, or coming across small sea creatures in little pools of water, is not reserved for children or occasional visitors.
10. You know that there is no sound in the world better than the lapping of waves on the beach
And no smell better than the salty sea air.
11. You respect the power of the ocean
You’ve seen it at its calmest best and at its roughest worst, and understand the need to always respect it.
12. You can’t understand anyone who says they don’t like the beach
They might as well say they don’t like breathing.
13. You can’t imagine living anywhere else
You may leave for a while, but you’ll be back. They always come back.